Problem loading external data

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
m_jones

Problem loading external data

Post by m_jones »

I'm having a problem getting an external data file (master list of bank account numbers) to load correctly for a data entry template (to be used with 'loadcase'). The data was originally in stata format, but I exported to excel and saved as .prn. When I open this with its own dictionary, it loads without a problem. However, when I add its dictionary to the CSPro data entry template I'm developing (for checking account transactions) and try to run data entry, I get an error message. The data in the external file is uniquely identified by account number. The checking account template will also be identified by account number.

The error message I receive is the following:
Duplicate case ids: 'Label='
in file "...masterfile.dcf"

It fails to create an index, and so CSEntry will not load.

I would like to know what that message means, and suggestions for solving the problem.

From my own troubleshooting, I have established the following:

1. There are no duplicated account numbers in the data file
2. Neither the variable names nor labels are duplicated between the two dictionaries.
3. When I open the data file with its own dictionary, it opens without a problem. (and finds no duplicates)
4. The logic I've written for the new template compiles (though I don't think the logic has anything to do with the problem, since I get the error message before CSEntry actually opens).
5. I exported the data to CSPro format using its own dictionary and used that as the external data file (instead of the .prn file). This made no difference.
6. Both dictionaries have no record type, and only one ID variable (account number), which matches the data file.

If anyone has any insights into how to resolve this error I'd really appreciate it!

cheers,
Maria
pierrew

Re: Problem loading external data

Post by pierrew »

Hello maria,
I think the problem is that you are selecting the dictionary file, by mistake, instead of the bank account data file.

So this is the error you are getting -
Duplicate case ids: 'Label='
in file "...masterfile.dcf"

Where it is saying "Duplicate case ids:" then 'Label=' this should be displaying the actual account number that will be duplicated int eh datafile. The file masterfile.dcf confirms this, that you are selecting the dictionary instead of the datafile.

Try running the entry/batch program again and locate the DICT file that references "masterfile.dcf" and try changing it to the bank account number data file.

I hope this helps,
Pierre
m_jones

Re: Problem loading external data

Post by m_jones »

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your response. Indeed, I was inputting the wrong information in the file associations pop-up; I had put the data file where it asks for "input data" rather than where it asks for "external file". The mistake is now corrected and the template is running.

cheers,
Maria