newbie question on exporting data

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
PBrown

newbie question on exporting data

Post by PBrown »

Hello friends,

I am a very novice user working with CSPro for the first time. I apologize in advance for the low-level of my question, but it is time sensitive and I find the User's Guide to be overwhelming (the Getting Started guide is more my speed, but it doesn't seem to answer this question).

CSEntry produces the following files: .idx, .log, .lst, .not, .sts, and one file that is labeled a Unix executable file but that has no extension. I will use Stata for all of the data analysis, so I am trying to get the data into that format, and yet I don't have the foggiest idea how to do so. I hope that I can impose on someone to give me instructions.

I am embarrassed to ask such simple questions, but I greatly appreciate the guidance.

Sincerely,
P Brown
lls

Re: newbie question on exporting data

Post by lls »

Hello,
I started CSPro with the same question.
It took me a while to figure out how to export data into SPSS format file. Actually it is quite easy.

To export CSPro data, try with the export tool.

1) launch your entry file (.ent)
2) in Tools, select 'Export data' and select your dictionary (.dcf)
3) select the fields you want to export
4) in 'Export format' select STATA and/or any other as it suits you
5) run the export tool program by clicking on the tiny green light button near the tool bar
6) chose your data entry file (.dat)

I think that's it, you should then find your STATA files .do and .dct next to your .ent file
PBrown

Post by PBrown »

Thank you, that was extremely helpful. I know that this is a trivial question for most users, but it really stumped me.
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

In your situation, the file marked Unix executable is your data file (the one with no extension). Data files can have any (or no) extension. In your folder you might have:

data
data.idx
data.log
data.lst
data.not
data.sts

You can always tell which one is the data file by looking at the other files with extensions. If a .idx, .log, etc., file exist, take that file name, remove the extension, and that is your data file.

See here for more information: http://www.csprousers.org/downloads/wor ... nsions.pdf