Skip within sections

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Pina

Skip within sections

Post by Pina »

Dear All,
Thanks cspro team for the continuous support.
I want to able to skip within sections of my program where the target respondent for a particular section is not available but sections related to the household can be responded to by any other member in the household. In this scenario, the enumerator will be able to save partially if the sections intended for the target respondent has not been responded to but will not be able to save the case as completed when the sections that were skipped has not been responded to by the target respondent for the intended sections assigned. Sharing an example or the code to execute this will be deeply appreciated.
sherrell

Re: Skip within sections

Post by sherrell »

Hello Pina,

There are 2 ways to do this: sequentially and random.

If you can do this sequentially, then it's not too hard. Insert your skips where you need specific persons to respond, skipping over those blocks if the desired person is absent (set a global flag when this has occurred). When you get to the end of your application, check to see if this flag has been set. If so, then you could ask if any of the desired person(s) have returned. If yes, then go backwards to the first place you left off, advancing when you hit blocks that have already been keyed, skipping again if persons aren't there. Or if no one has returned, then just save the case as a partial and let the interviewer resume when they can, following the same strategy above.

If you want to do this randomly, i.e., jumping around to various blocks within your application based on the availability of your respondents, then this is a much more involved process, and requires a much higher level of programming effort. Not something I would recommend unless you are a very experienced user of CSPro.

Sherrell
Pina

Re: Skip within sections

Post by Pina »

Thanks for your support Sherrell. I will the first approach as suggested