Convert from .csdb to .csdbe

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
vgonzalez

Convert from .csdb to .csdbe

Post by vgonzalez »

I already have in the field a survey with a .csdb database in the 1.0 version; and I want to migrate in version 2.0 to a .csdbe base since the collection centers have downloaded software such as DB Browser (SQLite), to view the data and try to modify it.

Is there a direct option or function, in CSPro to convert a data from a .csdb database to a .csdbe encrypted database, both with the same data structure, that allows me to reuse the data raised in version 1.0?
sherrell

Re: Convert from .csdb to .csdbe

Post by sherrell »

From https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/e ... _data.html

"An Encrypted CSPro DB file is like a CSPro DB file and can be used in any CSPro application. The only difference is that, upon opening the file, CSPro requires the specification of a password."

So, the data structure doesn't change, you are only attaching a password to the file.

Sherrell
htuser

Post by htuser »

Very simple to change a .csdb to .csdbe.
a) Open the csdb with dataviewer;
b) In the File menu of Dataviewer, select Save as---Select Data---and save with .csdbe extension. This will prompt you to enter and reenter a password.

Hope this help also.

Best
G.VOLNY, a CSProuser from Haiti, since 2004
vgonzalez

Post by vgonzalez »

Thank you very much for your prompt responses Sherrell & HTUser, I see that there are options on PC that are very easy, which we will apply on Laptops, however, if I am from a mobile device, where I cannot use the CSPro tools, how could I take advantage of the old database usage? Could I use the FileConcat function or is there some other way from logic?
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

On Android you can use fileconcat:
fileconcat(MY_DICT, "output.csdbe", "input.csdb");
The user will specify the password in that case. If you want to specify the password yourself:
fileconcat(MY_DICT, "output.csdbe|password=1234", "input.csdb");
Here are instructions on how to use a connection string to specify parameters for your file: https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/c ... tring.html
vgonzalez

Post by vgonzalez »

Thanks Gregory,

Use both cases, one to migrate and the other to be able to work with the reports using SQLQUERY which does not work or supports .Csdbe files

Grateful to all.
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

If you're using CSPro 7.6, you can use sqlquery with .csdbe files. This is in the What's New:
Encrypted SQLite databases can be queried using sqlquery by specifying a password in a connection string or by having an operator enter the password manually.