New to CSPro; trying to convert paper survey to data

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Roketto

Re: New to CSPro; trying to convert paper survey to data

Post by Roketto »

Thank you for going to all this trouble! This is great, except now I can't seem to actually run the application. This is the error message I get: What am I doing wrong?
CSProError1.png
CSProError1.png (97.72 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
In addition, I somehow managed to get the application open so I could enter data into it, & there appear to be a few problems (besides all the data disappearing once I finish entering it). The first is that question #3 is not formatted correctly.It's in three parts, where the first just has me entering in numbers 1-16 to indicate the questions. It should only be a set of 16 questions with a two-column response to fill in: how they feel about this now, & how they feel about it in the future. The other problem is that in question #4, there is no way to indicate for item 10 what their "other" response is. Is there a way to add a field to manually type their comments?
etuser

Post by etuser »

Dear Sir,

Please find the update. Make sure you open .ent to run the application , it think you opened the form ,that is why it shows you an error.

Cheers,
Attachments
NMI_Citizen_SurveyDataEntryApp.zip
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Roketto

Post by Roketto »

Is there any way to fix Question #3 to remove the first part, where you just go through the list of items? It needs to be structured like this:

3. How concerned are you with the current & future condition of each of the following items in your community?
Please rate your concerns using the following scale:

1 = not concerned; 2 = somewhat concerned; 3 = concerned; 4 = very concerned

Item:.....................................................................Now......Future
  1. Traffic Congestion/Safety......................................3...............4
  2. Availability of Sidewalks & Bike Paths........................2...............2

For each unique item, I just need to be able to quickly input 1, 2, 3, or 4 for the answer in the Now & the Future columns.

There's a similar structural issue for #4, where there are ten unique items for the question, & I just want to type either 1 for Encouraged or 2 for discouraged, with an additional option for Other & a text box to fill in their comments. If Other is not filled in at all, is there an option for Null so I don't have to put a value at all?

I'm sorry this is so unnecessarily complicated; I am getting this paper survey second-hand, & I never would have set it up like this. :(
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

Select the concerned items on the form and press delete. You'll delete the entire column and be left with the current and future columns.
delete.PNG
delete.PNG (9.13 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
Roketto

Post by Roketto »

I've tried to take what everyone has attempted to send me so far & convert it to what I need, but I'm still not sure it's right. Can you please take a look at this .ZIP file & see why it's still strange? I now have all the questions represented, but for some reason I cannot simply press numbers to input the data - I have to enter it manually with radio buttons. When I created the data app there was a warning that some of the dictionary files were missing or had changed, so some of the items were converted to radio buttons. How do I fix this?

Finally, the "Other" option on question #4 continues to frustrate me. I need to code in an option for when people leave it blank...or is it easier to just put "N/A" manually for those cases?

I feel like I'm getting closer, thanks to everyone's help here. Just a few more tweaks, & I can finally start compiling the data.
Attachments
NorthMerrittIsland2021CitizenSurvey_DataEntryApp.zip
(12.64 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

Currently you have value sets for 1, 2, 3, 4 and a capture type of radio button. Instead, consider a range from 1-4 in your value sets and a capture type of combo box.

value sets: https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/v ... ption.html
capture types: https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/c ... types.html

I don't see any logic in your application, so if you don't want to write logic n/a could be an option. If you want to write logic you need to see if other (checkbox option) has been selected and skip the other text field based on that.

ischecked: https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/i ... ction.html
skip: https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/s ... ement.html
Roketto

Post by Roketto »

Okay, I tried again, & I think I may have a workable data entry app:
Test_DataApp.zip
(10.89 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Will you all please check this & see if it looks okay & works as intended? For some reason it seems like all the data is repeated three times in the lefthand sidebar/data map area. Is it alright to delete those extra occurrences, & if so, does it matter which ones? I don't want to screw it up now that I've finally got it working.

EDIT: I keep having issues opening the files, where it gives me errors. Somehow I've already screwed it up, & I didn't even do anything but close it & try to reopen it. Is it safe to delete any of the extra files I've made that were failures, or are they all somehow linked?

Is there a way to transfer the labels I manually added to the last iteration of the data entry app safely to this one? Just having the entry boxes can be confusing.
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

Your application is looking good Roketto.

I think what you are seeing on the left-hand side are the subitems. I removed them, and accomplished the same thing with repeating occurrences. I had noticed you'd already done this for CONCERN_LEVELS, so I kept the rest consistent (and it's my preferred method). To do this I made both ENCOURAGE_DISCOURAGE_DEVELOPMENT and SUPPORT_OPPOSE_DEVELOPMENT repeat. Since the record ENCOURAGE_DISCOURAGE_DEVELOPMENT includes some non-repeating fields, I moved them to LENGTH_OF_RESIDENCE (they'll still appear in the same order on the form).

I also removed the other field from ENCOURAGE_DISCOURAGE_DEVELOPMENT and gave it a yes/no response. If you say yes, you'll be able to enter a comment. Otherwise, you'll skip the field. I added this logic:
postproc

if
$ = 2 then
    skip to
SUPPORT_OPPOSE_DEVELOPMENT_FORM;
endif;
Also, I deleted some variables that weren't being used. I was just trying to simplify things.

Your issue when you open files is likely due to the fact your are editing the dictionary and have already collected data. If you change the dictionary it is going to complain that the data no longer matches. Just delete the data file. I don't think there is a quick fix to the labels. You'll just have to re-add them.
Attachments
Test_DataApp.zip
(11.59 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Roketto

Post by Roketto »

Thank you so much for your help. Two questions:

I opened the Dictionary file without issue, & didn't change anything. I opened the CSPro Runtask document (the one with the stoplight icon), & got this error before it opened, & I was then able to enter data:
CSProError1.png
CSProError1.png (37.08 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
What does this mean, & is it an issue?

Second question: I noticed that for Question #4, the first option shows up as "single family." Is there a way to safely edit the dictionary file to put labels for the other items, which are currently numeric? Including for questions #3 & #5?

I would like to, ideally, replicate the visual look of the original survey as much as possible so that I don't confuse myself while inputting data. I used text boxes to do this painstakingly, one caption at a time, before, but I would rather not have to do that if at all possible.
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

You need to extract the contents of the zip before running it. The label "single family" is an occurrence label. While looking at the dictionary in the designer select the dictionary record, then select "occurrence label" from the edits tab. Here you can add additional labels.

occurrence label: https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/o ... abels.html