menu settings

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
AriSilva

menu settings

Post by AriSilva »

We are using all the possible settings to "clean" the main menu, not leaving any "space" for the interviewers to navigate by themselves
With that in mind, we´ve written
savesetting("CSEntry.Menu.ShowCaseTree", "No"); //preventing the case tree to be shown
savesetting("CSEntry.Menu.Help", "No"); //preventing the help to be shown
savesetting("CSEntry.Menu.AdvanceToEnd", "No"); //preventing to jump to be shown
savesetting("CSEntry.Menu.ReviewAllNotes", "No"); //preventing to review notes to be shown
savesetting("CSEntry.Menu.AddInsertOccurrence", "No"); //preventing to add occurrence to be shown
savesetting("CSEntry.Menu.DeleteOccurrence", "No"); //preventing to delete occurrence to be shown
The problem is that the "End of group" and the "End of level" could not be eliminated, either because they do not have an appropriate set, or they exist but are not in the help.
Also, I do no know what is the purpose of "AdvanceToEnd".
Now, the only entries that are available are the end of group and level (that I want to disable both of them) and the "Hide the navigation panel".
Best
Ari
aaronw

Re: menu settings

Post by aaronw »

Advance to end will take you to the last question entered, if you have gone backwards. When you say "hide the navigation panel" do you mean the case tree? If so you can disable it in the designer (Options > Show case tree: never). For end of group/level we'd need to add the ability to disable.
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

The problem with going backwards (and this is one of the reasons I would like to disable the left arrow) is that it does not return "logically" to the last question that was entered. It returns to the last question in the list, and that question might be skipped (that is, it does not apply), and by answering it the questionnaire might be inconsistent .
Best
Ari
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

You are running your program in operator-controlled mode. Advance to End isn't available in that mode. If you use system-controlled mode, that option is available. That mode also correctly follows the "path," so the back button will take you to the last-entered field, bypassing any skipped fields.

We recommend using system-controlled mode for just about any program on Android. When you use that mode, End of Group and End of Level do not appear, as those are operator-controlled mode options. If system-controlled mode, you have to use logic to end a group or level.
ashitaleni

Post by ashitaleni »

If the respondent stops the interview in the middle, how do i make the program go to the last question so that the enumerator choose Partial Complete in the final field.
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

The keyword skip will allow you to jump around, but it also considers skipped data as deleted. The keyword advance, moves through the logic till the end of entered data. If the field can't be blank the advance will stop and issue a warning. The menu option "advance to end" will function in a similar manner to the advance keyword.

While what you want is straightforward, it's not so simple to implement in CSPro.
  1. You could add logic to every field (to advance/skip) which would be a maintenance nightmare
  2. Alternatively, you could allow the enumerator to skip to the end with a userbar button, but this would allow them to delete their data
I don't recommend either approach. Instead I would simply have a completion field at the end with a "done" option. If this is marked then the questionnaire is complete, else it is a partial questionnaire. While this isn't exactly what you want, these sorts of compromises allow you to design around some problematic areas while getting most of the functionality.
jiofack

Post by jiofack »

aaronw wrote: February 4th, 2021, 5:38 pm The keyword skip will allow you to jump around, but it also considers skipped data as deleted. The keyword advance, moves through the logic till the end of entered data. If the field can't be blank the advance will stop and issue a warning. The menu option "advance to end" will function in a similar manner to the advance keyword.

While what you want is straightforward, it's not so simple to implement in CSPro.
  1. You could add logic to every field (to advance/skip) which would be a maintenance nightmare
  2. Alternatively, you could allow the enumerator to skip to the end with a userbar button, but this would allow them to delete their data
I don't recommend either approach. Instead I would simply have a completion field at the end with a "done" option. If this is marked then the questionnaire is complete, else it is a partial questionnaire. While this isn't exactly what you want, these sorts of compromises allow you to design around some problematic areas while getting most of the functionality.
Hi to all,

I implemented the second option for an ongoing project. Luckily I am seen this post warning me. Is there a way to program an "advance to end" (without the prompt to stop at the last valid field) before skipping to a field to say why the interview was stopped?

First line
advance to INCOMPLETE_RESULT; // without prompting and stopping on the last field
Second line
skip to INCOMPLETE_RESULT; // and I am sure nothing is loose and I know why is not completed
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

We don't have a mechanism to advance and then skip to the end. Partly, it may be that conceptually we wanted the case to be partially saved if it wasn't complete.

However, I put together a simple demo to show how I might address this. It starts with a interview status question. This allows you to begin the interview or mark it as refused. Granted you don't know the future. Five minutes later the interviewee may say they don't have time for the interview. I've added a userbar that takes you back to the interview status question in this scenario. After, selecting the new interview status the cursor will be advanced to furthest question in the partial save. Now the interviewer can quit the interview with an updated status. Finally, if the interview is completed you'll have to pass through the COMPLETE field. Here you'll only have one option to mark the interview as complete which will also mark interview status as complete.

Now you can know the status of your questionnaire by looking at INTERVIEW_STATUS and COMPLETE.
INTERVIEW_STATUS = 1 and COMPLETE = 1 => complete interview
INTERVIEW_STATUS = 1 and COMPLETE = notappl => incomplete without indication why (interviewer forgot to update status)
INTERVIEW_STATUS = 2 and COMPLETE = notappl => incomplete, because it was refused

It's barebones, but hopefully the idea is clear and you can apply it to your application.
Attachments
survey.zip
(2.75 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
jiofack

Post by jiofack »

The principle is simple and clear.
Thank you.