paradata information

Discussions about CSEntry
AriSilva

paradata information

Post by AriSilva »

What is the best way to start working with the paradata info?
Where do I start? Is there any tutorial?
Best
Best
Ari
AriSilva

Re: paradata information

Post by AriSilva »

I´ve tried to start playing with the paradata concept but I´ve found out that this is not for amateurs.
I did not find any file description of what a .cslog contains, I´ve created a .cslog ad opened it an SQLite program to see its contents: a bunch of tables but no description of each one of them. And which table is connected with each paradata option in the menu.
The example of the sqlquery syntax in the help with all these joins did not help me much, because I did not understand the objective of the query. I know that this example does not have to teach sql, but if I do not know the purpose of the example, how could I understand it?
Then I thought I would find something in the cspro examples that come with the package: no such luck at that either.
Is it possible to write some select examples to query a paradata log file and put them in the examples directory?
Best
Best
Ari
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

I recommend using the Paradata Viewer to view the premade reports. This allows you to take advantage of the paradata without having to know the intricacies of the the cslogs as they are not documented in any easily digestible way. You can view a single interviewer's paradata or concatenate cslogs together to view multiple interviewer's paradata.

For example, by looking at the "Sessions by Operator ID" report I can see I have 2 operators, they've each have a total of 1 session, and finally I can see the duration of those sessions.
paradata.PNG
paradata.PNG (17.89 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

Thanks for the info about the viewer, I´ll try to follow it.
Now, about collecting the paradata in the field:
I do not want to finish the data entry collection, I want upload the paradata along with the data itself, as they are being entered.
For that I will need to establish a name for the paradata file, and then syncfile(put) them to the server, and after that, syncfile(get) from the server to my computer.
1. It will be one paradata file for each tablet, or one paradata file for each interview? If it is one for each tablet, is the new data appended to the paradata file?
2. Since the paradata does not have a dictionary attached to it, where the paradata files are being store in the server?
Best
Best
Ari
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

Each application will generate a single paradata file by default. If you plan to synchronize them you'll want to use a unique name (e.g. assignment, device name, timestamp, etc). Be warned though that the paradata files can get large quickly. However, you do have some control over how much data you collect. In this thread Greg suggests collecting paradata once at the end of your survey.

You'll use syncfile to synchronize the paradata (CSLOG) files, so the behavior will be the same for any other syncfile call. The root directory on the server depends on whether you are using CSWeb, Dropbox, or FTP. For CSWeb you'll find uploaded files in "/csweb/files/."