New released cspro version 7.3

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Mariovaisman

New released cspro version 7.3

Post by Mariovaisman »

Hi all,

We were surprised that this version was released now without any advice.

We are in the field conducting a survey, and some tablets were updated to 7.3,

Those tablets are not working with the app anymore and the main reason is that the way to manage the folder position in the tablets changed the behivor totally.
In 7.2 the application defined as current folder the location of the .pff file, and now the current location is the location of the application, means that when an app prepare a dynamic pff to call other cspro application the result is totally different and the .pen is not found.

Thanks

Mario Vaisman
josh

Re: New released cspro version 7.3

Post by josh »

Sorry to hear that the 7.3 release took you by surprise. To avoid this in the future we highly recommend that anyone with surveys in the field disable automatic updates on their Android devices: https://www.csprousers.org/posts/2018-0 ... droid.html. This way you won't get updates unless you want them. If anyone needs to get the apk for version 7.2 to move back to that version please email us at cspro@lists.census.gov and we will send it to you.

Normally we send a email to all registered users when there is a new release but due to the hurricane we have to wait to be able to use the bulk email system since it is being reserved for emergency notifications.

We will look into the issue with the changed current folder in 7.3. One way to avoid this is rather than relying on the current folder you can use pathname(Application) to get the path to the current pen file and make all your paths relative to that. That will give the same results for all versions.
bhavesh.makwana

Post by bhavesh.makwana »

Hi Josh,

Facing the same issues.
Thru menu program we are launching more than 3 applications.
The 1st application say Household - we are unable to launch.
But the remaining applications are launching successfully..
But if CSEntry version is 7.2/7.1 then Household is working fine with devices.... But in new version 7.3 we are unable to launch Household.
We are using following function....
function launchHHQ()
string pathToEntryApp = "../xx_HH/xx_HH.pff";
// Start household Survey
if execpff(pathToEntryApp, stop) = notappl then
errmsg("Failed to launch data entry");
endif;
end;

Let us know how we can update the above......
josh

Post by josh »

Also in version 7.3 you can use the new pff object to avoid writing out pff files entirely. https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/pffs.html
Enkhbayar

Post by Enkhbayar »

Hi Josh,

is there any function to get CSPro version from the logic?
josh

Post by josh »

You can use the diagnostics function to get the version number from logic: https://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/d ... ction.html
AriSilva

Post by AriSilva »

Hi Josh,
I´m using the pathname(Application) to get the proper path and generate a pff to call another csentry program, but I still have problems with the "CsPro has stopped".
Sometimes it issues the message when calling the pff, sometimes the program does not say anything and returns to the csentry main menu (listing the available applications).
Maybe the differences between 7.1/2/3 are more complex than that.
I´m stuck with this problem, I have two surveys in the field with the same problem.
Best
Ari
Mariovaisman

Post by Mariovaisman »

Josh,

It is easy what you said about to use pathname(application), however it is easy when you run execpff function, but what happen with functions like setfile, filecopy, fileconcat, filedelete, etc, etc. There are a lot of places where have to be updated to be working equal in cspro 7.2 and 7.3. As you see, if for an external reason, a tablet updated csentry from 7.2 to 7.3 will not work anymore with the app, and our automatic program updates programmed cannot receive the programs updated because the filecopy, filedelete, and other functions have different behavior in both cspro version.

I understand that we had to block the automatic update, in fact we did at the beginning, but you know, tablets crashed, other stolen, different people prepared new tablets, and then, came the new cspro version.

I understood you tried to have all functions working with the same behavior, like transmission functions and the rest, just because those were different, but this type of changes cannot be done as you did, maybe you had to add a parameter in the pff or a behavior funtion to select it.

As you see, the only way in this case is to uninstall csentry and install the old version (7.2), hpowever, some teams are in the field and to deliver the apk will be a problem

Thanks

Mario Vaisman
Enkhbayar

Post by Enkhbayar »

AriSilva wrote: September 6th, 2019, 9:01 am Hi Josh,
I´m using the pathname(Application) to get the proper path and generate a pff to call another csentry program, but I still have problems with the "CsPro has stopped".
Sometimes it issues the message when calling the pff, sometimes the program does not say anything and returns to the csentry main menu (listing the available applications).
Maybe the differences between 7.1/2/3 are more complex than that.
I´m stuck with this problem, I have two surveys in the field with the same problem.
you have to correct the path where you work with files too such as setfile, filecopy, filedelete etc.. including execpff and generate pff.

which means, it requires a looooot of work :)
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Another option is to move your .pen file to where the .pff is. Then you have to change the paths in the PFF, but many of the ones that you're using in logic should work.

The reasoning behind this change was that, prior to 7.3, some relative paths were based off of the application directory and some were based off the PFF directory. That made things quite confusing, so we standardized it. For nearly every application, this wouldn't be a problem because the .pen and .pff files are in the same directory. However, I understand that this is a behavior change that could have unfortunate consequences. (It also means that my suggestion above may not work perfectly because some paths that were based off the application will now change.)