Unable to sync to tablet

Discussions about CSEntry
RPH

Unable to sync to tablet

Post by RPH »

Hi All,
I'm new to CSPro and attempting to upload a survey onto a tablet using Dropbox. I have successfully added the application files onto my tablet. However, when I click on the application and the "add" button (the green button with a plus sign), I get an error message ([item label] not found in the sample design file). I would like to know how to troubleshoot and/or resolve this issue.

My assumption was that once I compiled my .pen and .pff files correctly, they should be ready to load onto the tablet.This does not appear to be the case as I successfully Deployed the application but cannot successfully load it onto my tablet.

Thanks for your help!
josh

Re: Unable to sync to tablet

Post by josh »

The green button with the plus sign is for adding a new case (a new questionnaire). To add the application to the tablet from Dropbox choose "Add application" from the menu on the first screen.
RPH

Post by RPH »

Thanks, Josh.

I figured it out, and I don't think I explained my issue clearly. The error message was because the tablet expected a preloaded dataset. I preloaded the sample to fix this issue.

Now that the questionnaire is added, I'm having issues moving from one module to the next in the tablet. I think this is a problem with the logic. Is there logic that moves the user from one module to the next?
josh

Post by josh »

Normally in a CAPI application, you use system control mode. In that mode CSPro likes to go field by field and doesn't want you to move to a later section if you have not completed an earlier section. This way you are guaranteed that all the consistency checks are met and all fields are completed. There are ways to work around this although they are a bit tricky to implement. You can see some examples in session 2 of this workshop: http://teleyah.com/cspro/RwandaNov2018/

The other option is to use operator control mode which lets you move around more freely. We generally only use this mode for key from paper. With tablets you get better data quality using the tight restrictions of system control mode.
RPH

Post by RPH »

Thanks, Josh.

Even when we complete the module, it won't let us move to the next module. Once the first module is finished, the only option is "End Interview." This is the household roster section of the survey, so I'm wondering if there is some logic that forces the questionnaire to either loop back through the same module (to input another family member) or end the interview.
josh

Post by josh »

This is something specific to the logic of your application then. "End interview" is not an option that CSPro will display so it must be coming from your application logic.
RPH

Post by RPH »

You're probably right.

I think the problem is the "advance to" command (which I believe is the command that pushes the user to the next module) is housed in an item that is not showing up on the tablet. I'm not sure why that is since the item thathouses the "advance to" command is on the form in CSPro. It seems like all of the items and their associated logic that are one the CSPro form should show up in the CSEntry application on the tablet. Is that the correct way to think about transferring the form from CSPro to the CSEntry App on the tablet? Or is there something else we need to do to ensure the items show up on the tablet?
josh

Post by josh »

If the field is protected then you will not see it on the tablet. Otherwise all the fields you see on the form will show up on the tablet. In any case, any issue with not being able to move to the next module should be the same on both Windows and on the tablet. The movement logic is the same. Unless of course in your logic you have check whether the app is running on Windows or Android and do something different based on the result.