Census, listing and use of maps

Discussions about creating CAPI applications to run on Android devices
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Anne

Census, listing and use of maps

Post by Anne »

Hi,
As we all know, a new round of census is coming up, and in my project, we're considering using tablets, cspro and maps to do the preliminary listing, and then use this again to create EAs. As we can't afford tablets for all enumerators, we will print maps and have questionnaires on paper for the census part.

We already have maps with (most of) the GPS coordinates of the residential buildings in the country, and we want to use the listing to update the address register in the country as well, but as I am new to maps and GIS, I wonder what is the best way to do it, and if it is possible to have CSPro communicate with map apps on the tablets.

I guess that ideally, we should have CSPro and the map app communicating with each other on the tablet, so that when the enumerator comes to a building, he taps on the relevant place on the map, and then - by magic or something - the CSPro application receives the ID (and coordinates and other relevant information) of the house, but I'm pretty sure this is not possible(???)

So, my other suggestion is to keep the map and the CSPro separate in the field: The enumerator locates the houses with his map app, then starts up CSPro, enters GPS coordinates and other relevant information, and then the data is compared in the office after data collection.

Or is there any other way of doing this? Any clever ideas for me in this forum?

Anne
Anne

Re: Census, listing and use of maps

Post by Anne »

I think I found the clever idea myself:

1) Create a flat file from the maps/register database containing gps coordinates, ID of building, owner, address etc..
2) Use CSPro to capture GSP coordinate and look up (in a fuzzy way) the building in the flat file
3) Prefill the questionnaire with info from the flat file and ask the enumerator to verify/update data

Easy peasy!

...or..
josh

Re: Census, listing and use of maps

Post by josh »

That sounds like a pretty reasonable solution.

You can use the gps function in CSPro to calculate distance between two points given their GPS coordinates. That might help with the fuzzy lookup.

I can imagine that in some cases if the buildings are close together and the tablet GPS accuracy is not great your fuzzy compare might return multiple possible buildings in which case you would need to show some info about the choices to to the interviewer and have them pick the correct one.