Running CSPro on Local Area Network for multiple users

Other discussions about CSPro
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
sonamt

Running CSPro on Local Area Network for multiple users

Post by sonamt »

Is it possible to run CSPro application on Local Area Network for multiple users? If so, this would be very useful where there are more than one data entry operators working on the sample data entry application.
josh

Re: Running CSPro on Local Area Network for multiple users

Post by josh »

Many people have run CSPro over a local network. I have not done so myself but my understanding is that the approach is to used a shared drive that all keyers have access too. You give each keyer a folder on the shared drive in which to store their data files. You can then write scripts to copy data files and pff files into and out of the keyers folders based on which batches of questionnaires are assigned to that keyer. Some people write these scripts as DOS batch files, others write CSPro programs, others use .NET. Maybe someone on the forum who has done this would be willing share how they have done it.
yanina

Post by yanina »

Hi Josh
Hi Gregory

This is my next Step for my learning on CSPro. CSPRO Networking :D :D

Yes Josh. I found kakinyim step by step about Running PFFs on a server
http://csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... t=10#p1285
Very clear and I am still learn to do it on my network.

But kakinyim step above need some IT skill. Kakinyim example also still on CSPro ver 4 that was thread long back on 2013.

As the version 7 Beta has been release, my questions :
1. Does ver 7 beta simplified for Server Data Entry ?
2. Does ver 7 able to run one file dat or csdb that sharing by multiple data entry user ? So no need for fileconcat /concatenate ?
If Yes, then what I have to do to my network ?

For now, i did it manually. Copy dat or csdb from Laptop1, laptop2, laptop3 then do the concatenate.

Many thanks for your insight.

Yanin
josh

Post by josh »

For CSPro 6.3 stick with the Kakinyi technique.

For CSPro 7, you could still use this but you have two other options:

1) If you use the csdb file format you can have the data file on a network drive and have multiple keyers open the same file to key directly into it. This means you don't have to deal with moving files around and concatenating. For anything but a small keying operation you would still need to add some additional programs to manage assignments for keyers. If everyone is keying into the same file, any keyer can enter/modify any case and you probably need a way to control that either through a menu program or some procedures.

2) You could set up a CSWeb server on the local area network and use sync to have the keyers send the data to the CSWeb server. You can then download a complete data file from the CSWeb server. This requires some IT skills to set up and also requires some additional work to manage assignments.

Josh