Getting rid of previously entered data

Discussions about editing and cleaning data
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
boikgwadi

Getting rid of previously entered data

Post by boikgwadi »

I am faced with a situation where after I created a new data entry application and data entry commenced using datasets generated from a previous application. I migrated my data template from YR14 to YR15 and ten to YR 16. I had to use the data sets as there were some data variables that I did not want re-typed and data entry has already commenced.

However, on the rooster, I am getting some variables pre-filled with data as demonstrated in the attachments and below. In the illustration, only “Y” and “N” should be allowed. This is proving a challenge when I export as at times, there are similar data that are found there. This is confusing at analysis.

How can I eliminate this? I want blanks where I have not entered any data but I am finding I have * and other characters. I have attached the program and data files together with an illustration to that effect. Please help
Attachments
Gwanda Data.rar
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 324 times
Amalima Program - NUTGWA.zip
(59.63 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
CS Pro entry data.png
CS Pro entry data.png (14.66 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
josh

Re: Getting rid of previously entered data

Post by josh »

It looks like you have combined data that came from different versions of your dictionary. In other words some of the data in your file from earlier versions of your app does not match the current data format as defined by your dictionary so it shows up incorrectly as * and with other problems. In CSPro if you change the size of items in the dictionary or add new items in the middle of a record after starting data collection you will run into this problem. This can be quite challenging to fix.

To make the old data work with the new dictionary you can use the reformat data tool. Use the old version of the dictionary as the input dictionary, the old data file as the input data file, the new version of the dictionary as the output dictionary and create a new file for the new output data. Then you can use this output data file to use your old data in your new application.

If you have already entered new data based on the new dictionary on into the old data file then you will need a way to identify which cases comes from the old application and which cases come from the new dictionary and separate them out into different data files. Then you can reformat the old data file, reformat it, and then use concatenate to combine with the new data.