Exporting CSPro failure-exporting from CSPro 5 to SPSS 20

Other discussions about CSPro
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
sam1

Exporting CSPro failure-exporting from CSPro 5 to SPSS 20

Post by sam1 »

Hi:

Could you please help witht the following problem. My data is entered in CSPro v5, on Windows 8. I am trying to export the data to spssv20 using CSPro v5, Windows v7 professional. After exporting the data, i ran the spss syntax file (.sps) and the database shells/structure (variables and variable labels) come up; however, there is no data in the database. I checked the .dat file - the data file and it has no data. I receive a pop up that reports the file is empty. I am using the following steps:

Step1: Open CSPro data entry application (.ent)
Step 2: Go to tools
Step 3: export data
Step 4: Select the dictionary file (.dcf)
Step 5: Click all items in dictionary file
Step 6: Selection of settings for exporting: Number of files created-one file selected; output of multiple record occurences- all in one record; export items or sub items- items only; export format- Spss(.dat, .sps). For export record type, additional options, XML metadata, and weight variable left blank.
Step 7: click CSPro run task application
Step 8: choose data file
Step 9: Save spss export files (.dat-data file and .sps-syntax file)
Step 10: Open spss syntax (.sps file) and run it
Step 11: the database structure/shells (variables and variable labels) are all there but no data
STep 12: manual verification of spss data file (.dat). When double clicking to open data file a notification appears that says data file is empty.

I have also tried to export into tab delimited (.txt) and the same problem occurs i.e no data is exported. I have verified that there is data in my data file in CSPro before exporting. Please help.
Gregory Martin

Re: Exporting CSPro failure-exporting from CSPro 5 to SPSS 2

Post by Gregory Martin »

Sam,

It's hard to diagnose the problem without seeing the dictionary or the data file. A few things to try:

1) Are you sure that you are selecting the right data file? Often the problem that users have is that they accidentally select one of the other files created by CSEntry when they try to export data. For example, if the data file is example.dat, they might select the example.dat.log file instead. If Windows hides the extensions of your data files, it's easy to make this mistake.

2) If you are definitely selecting the right data file, try experimenting with the settings. For example, try to export only the ID variables. Then try to export the ID variables and the items from one record only. Does this work?

3) Does your application have subitems that art part of an item that repeats? If so, the Export Data tool sometimes doesn't work as expected, and you have to create a batch export program to get your data.

There is always the possibility that this is a CSPro bug. Let me know if you get any further with the above suggestions. If you don't mind sharing your data file, you can always send it to me (with your dictionary), and I can take a look at it: gregory.martin@census.gov
sam1

Post by sam1 »

Hi Gregory:

Thank you for suggestions I will try them, if it does not work I will send you the database to have a look at.

Best wishes,
Sam
Mandaj

Post by Mandaj »

I have a similar problem. However when i try to select all the records and save them as multiple files, i get a message "internal error". I tried exporting one record at a time, the data is exported with a message "encountered an improper argument". Checking the data in SPSS reveals some missing data, although its available in CSPro. Help!
sam1

Post by sam1 »

Hi:

Try the batch export suggested by Gregory Martin. We contacted Gregory who created a batch export for our DB.

Thanks
Mandaj

Post by Mandaj »

Thanks sam, although i must admit am not very familiar with batch export. I will probably send the dictionary and data file to Greg to see if he can help me.