CSPro 4 - 5 compatibility

Other discussions about CSPro
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
lls

CSPro 4 - 5 compatibility

Post by lls »

Hello,
I made a program under CSPro 4 that I am now using with CSPro 5.
I cannot open it with CSPro 4 anymore, but I need to use it on both version 4 and 5.
What could prevent it to be opened with v.4.1?

It says,

[...file.ent cannot be opened!

File must exist and have an extension .ENT, .BCH, .XTB (version 3.0 or higher),.STB (version 4.1 or higher), .DCF or FMT]

File.ent do exist and I try to open it with v 4.1
Gregory Martin

Re: CSPro 4 - 5 compatibility

Post by Gregory Martin »

Once you save a CSPro application in a newer version of CSPro (e.g., 5), it will no longer work in any previous version of CSPro (e.g., 4.1). This is because the new version of the software may have features that are not supported by the previous versions. However, if you did not take advantage of any of the new features of CSPro 5 when building your application, you can manually downgrade the files by doing two things:

1) Run the Unicode Text Converter program that comes with CSPro 5 (Start Menu -> Programs -> CSPro 5.0 -> More Tools -> Unicode Text Converter. Select all of your application files and then hit Run. This will convert them from UTF-8 format back to ANSI format. CSPro 4.1 cannot read UTF-8 files, so this is necessary.

2) Open your application files in a text editor and modify the text from "Version=CSPro 5.0" to "Version=CSPro 4.1"

If you want to use your applications in both CSPro 4.1 and 5, you should only modify it in CSPro 4.1. Also, note that data files created using CSPro 5 will not be ready properly by previous versions of CSPro. See here for more information:

http://www.csprousers.org/help/html/unicode_primer.htm
iip

Post by iip »

Hi Greg,

How to run Unicode Text Converter from commandline using parameters?

thanks,

-iip-
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

The Unicode Text Converter doesn't take command line arguments at the moment. I can add this functionality if you would like. What task are you trying to accomplish?