automatically concatenating and exporting data!

Discussions about tabulating data in the designer or in batch mode
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
mashour

automatically concatenating and exporting data!

Post by mashour »

Hi,

I've been using CSPro for a couple of years to design data entry applications but I am only now realizing that I don't know how to automatically concatenate and export data. By automatically I mean not manually clicking on concatenate, selecting files, etc. Is it possible to write some code so that when I run it the CSPro tools will take care of the concatenation and export? Is there an example somewhere I can look at? I think the fileconcat() function will be helpful but I'm not sure what application/tool to write it in...

Any guidance is appreciated!

M
josh

Re: automatically concatenating and exporting data!

Post by josh »

There are two ways to handle this. One is to use the concatenate and export data tools but automate them through the use of .pff files. In the online help for the concatenate data tool there is a topic called "Run production concatenates" that explains this. There similar topic in the export data tool online help for running production exports. In both cases you end up with a .pff that you can double click to run the concatenate and then another to click to run the export. If you want to do it all in one click you can use the production runner tool to combine them together.

A second option is to do all your concatenation and exporting in a batch edit program. You would create a new batch edit program and in it use fileconcat() for the concatenation and the export statement to do the export from logic. This gives you more control than using .pff files but it is much more complex to create and maintain.

I would start with the first approach and if you find it too limiting then look at the second.