Deleting or encrypting cases on tablets?

Discussions about creating CAPI applications to run on Android devices
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
claudia

Deleting or encrypting cases on tablets?

Post by claudia »

Hi,

is it possible to delete cases on the tablet? I want to do this after having synchronised with dropbox in order to avoid having too much confidential data on the tablets in case they get stolen/lost.

Alternatively, is it possible to encrypt the data on the tablets?

Many thanks,
Claudia
josh

Re: Deleting or encrypting cases on tablets?

Post by josh »

It is possible to delete the data file using the filedelete function however if you are using BOTH for the sync direction then sync will download them again to the tablet if sees they are no longer there. You can potentially work around this using a universe for sync based on the case id items. For example when the enumerator moves from one geographical area to another you can change the universe and delete the cases from the previous geographical area.

We don't have support for encryption in CSPro however on Android if you set up a PIN code or password on the device, Android will encrypt all the files on the tablet including the CSPro data file. This whole device encryption uses special hardware on the device and is therefore much stronger than anything we could implement in CSPro.

We would recommend using the whole device encryption on Android and not bothering with deleting the data.
claudia

Post by claudia »

Thanks for the reply.

Could you give me instructions on how to use this filedelete function?
I will download the files from dropbox onto my computer as the cases come in, so when the tablet syncs with dropbox there won't be many (or any) cases left on dropbox. So I guess that should solve the problem?

Regarding the encryption, I know it's probably not directly your area, but maybe you can tell me how to encrypt the whole tablet?

Thanks!
Claudia
josh

Post by josh »

Sync isn't really designed to have you deleting cases from the Dropbox as you download either. I think they will keep getting uploaded again if you do that. I really wouldn't recommend it.

You can get details on filedelete from the help: http://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/fi ... ction.html

For the Android encryption that usually in the settings under security although it varies depending on the brand and Android version.
Enkhbayar

Post by Enkhbayar »

You can add some logic in enumerator menu app. In my opinion, you can solve the problem something like below.

while loadcase(YOURDATAFILE)=1 do

string assignmentUniverse = edit("99",ID);
syncResult=syncdata(PUT,YOURDATAFILE, assignmentUniverse); //Sync only new cases.

enddo;

syncdisconnect();

if syncResult=1 then //make sure all data are sent to the server

while loadcase(YOURDATAFILE)=1 do //load cases one by one

if caseCompleted=1 then // check the cases are completed or not
delcase(YOURDATAFILE); //if completed, delete the case from the tablet
endif;

enddo;

endif;

claudia wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Could you give me instructions on how to use this filedelete function?
I will download the files from dropbox onto my computer as the cases come in, so when the tablet syncs with dropbox there won't be many (or any) cases left on dropbox. So I guess that should solve the problem?

Regarding the encryption, I know it's probably not directly your area, but maybe you can tell me how to encrypt the whole tablet?

Thanks!
Claudia