Time use survey

Discussions about creating CAPI applications to run on Android devices
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Xavi

Time use survey

Post by Xavi »

Dear All,
Anyone who has developed a CAPI Application in CS pro for Time Use Survey. I want to help me on how to design how the simultaneous activities are asked or entered and the time stamp how is done. You can share me some example.
jfigueroa

Re: Time use survey

Post by jfigueroa »

Hi dear Xavi,

On dictionary I have two Alpha variables "SURVEY_START" and "SURVEY_END" that do the following:
On first Survey Field you can try:

Code: Select all

SURVEY_START = maketext("%s %s: ",edit("9999-99-99",sysdate("YYYYMMDD")),edit("99:99",systime() / 100));
and on last Survey Field the same, just for the other.

SURVEY_END = maketext("%s %s: ",edit("9999-99-99",sysdate("YYYYMMDD")),edit("99:99",systime() / 100));
That way you will have a record of the time a Survey takes.
Then on Excel you can convert those fields into minutes, date or whatever you need.

I don´t know if that is what you mean to.
Hope it can help in someway.

Regards.
sah

Post by sah »

Hello Xavi,
another approach is to create variables (INTERVIEW_START_TIME_MINUTES &INTERVIEW_END_TIME_MINUTES)

FOR INTERVIEW_START_TIME_HOURS
p

reproc
// Prefill interview start time with current time 

if visualvalue($) = notappl then
    INTERVIEW_START_TIME = systime("HHMM");
endif;
FOR INTERVIEW_END_TIME_MINUTES:

Preproc
  INTERVIEW_END_TIME = systime("HHMM");
josh

Post by josh »

In CSPro 7 there is a new function called timestamp() that makes it easier to get interview times. It returns the time as seconds since Jan 1, 1970 so if you subtract one timestamp from another you can get elapsed time in seconds. This is simpler than taking the difference between two times in hh:mm:ss format.

That said, I'm not sure that this is what Xavi is asking about. I think he's talking about surveys like this one: https://www.bls.gov/tus/
Xavi

Post by Xavi »

Yes Josh,
Am referring to the time use surveys like in https://www.bls.gov/tus/:

How do u capture the time especially for those with more that five simultaneous actives, I want to to know how best i can capture that time for those simultaneous actives.