issue w/ multi-level system-controlled entry

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
rtdescallar

issue w/ multi-level system-controlled entry

Post by rtdescallar »

good day!

the system-controlled entry program i am developing has 2 levels - household and individual. our practice here is to assign special values (9,99,999,...) to skipped/NAP fields rather than keep them blank. what i noticed was that when i try to open the data file using a text editor, the skipped fields in the rosters in the household level do not retain the special value/s i assigned thru logic. they still remain blank. but at the individual level, the rosters seem ok (retain assigned special values). though note that during entry, the values i assigned do appear in the skipped fields (dark gray boxes).

here's my sample code automating the line number in my household members roster (HHMEMS) of which i set the # occurrence to 30:
(item LINE is protected)
PROC LINE
preproc
i=curocc(HHMEMS);
if i<=TOTAL then
$=i;
skip to VAR1;
else
$=99;
skip to VAR1;
endif;

in this particular sample, when i check the data file using a text editor, the item LINE has no single value in it -- all blank spaces for all occurrences.

am i doing something wrong? please help. thank you.
khurshid.arshad

Re: issue w/ multi-level system-controlled entry

Post by khurshid.arshad »

If you want retain your values [-99] then use operator controlled. In system controlled you can not retain your values.

a.
rtdescallar

Post by rtdescallar »

but why is it that at the individual level, the values are retained? i'm leaning more on system-controlled due to the complexity of the survey. is there any way around this?
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

I suspect that there is something else going on with your application. I created a test application where, on the first level, I assigned 999 (which in my dictionary was set to notappl) to a variable, and the resulting data file shows the 999 values.

Can you email me your application (gregory.martin@census.gov)? I can look at it and see if something else is the problem.
rtdescallar

Post by rtdescallar »

email sent...