Operator Statistics File (.log)

Discussions about CSEntry
BPAnderson

Operator Statistics File (.log)

Post by BPAnderson »

I have the information on what the layout is for this file, but have a question about how some of the numbers are calculated.
  • I know what the number of cases represents, but what does the "number of records written" represent?

Number of keystrokes is clear, but what determines the number of "bad keystrokes?" I thought it might be the number of times you back up and delete/re-key data, but that appears to not be the case.

Re: Operator Statistics File (.log)

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know where I can find the explanation of the various fields that are stored in the .log file. I have the column definitions, but no explanation as to what some of them mean or how they are calculated. Any help would be much appreciated.
Gregory Martin

Re: Operator Statistics File (.log)

Post by Gregory Martin »

Say that you have a population record that can repeat and a household record that only occurs once. If your file looks like this:

Case 1 Population Record Person 1
Case 1 Population Record Person 2
Case 1 Population Record Person 3
Case 1 Household Record
Case 2 Population Record Person 1
Case 2 Household Record

The first case has three people and the second case has one person. In this scenario, the log file would show that you entered two cases and six records. Looking at the number of records written can be a better approximation of a keyer's workload than the cases, given that one case could have 10 people and another only one person. The case with 10 people would take much longer to enter than the one with one person, something reflected in the number of records written.

The count of bad keystrokes goes up when an invalid value is entered into a field (e.g., something that is not in the value set), or when an invalid character is entered (e.g., an alpha character to a numeric field).