Running PFFs on a server

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Nevillefc

Running PFFs on a server

Post by Nevillefc »

We are building a suite of programs to handle an offline survey we do. Can I have the program on a server and have each person run it from diffrent PFFs at the same time ? If this is possible would the computer resources in running the program be utilised from the server or is it utilised the data entry person's computer ?
Gregory Martin

Re: Running PFFs on a server

Post by Gregory Martin »

The PFF instructs CSPro (and in your case, CSEntry) what to do, and you have great control over the parameters, in particular the Files section:

Code: Select all

[Files]
Application=.\Census Data Entry.ent
InputData=.\Popstan Census.dat
You can place your application on a server and then have all of your keyers run it off the server. CSEntry loads your application into memory so it will run in separate instances on each computer, but the source files will be on the server. This is nice because if you want to make changes to your application, you only have to do it on one machine. The only hitch to this approach is when using lookup (external) files that are based on the server. If you do not use shared lookup files, then this is not a problem.

For InputData (which is also your output data in a data entry application), you can place the files on each keyer's computer, or on the server. The only restriction, if the files are on the server, is that each keyer must enter data to a differently-named file. Multiple keyers cannot key to the same file. You'll probably want to concatenate all the files together after the survey has been keyed.
lls

Post by lls »

We made a data entry application that can be launched via a menu application. The folder with both data entry and menu application is located on a server and each keyers, who have CSPro installed on their PC, can start a session with a shortcut to the .PFF menu file on the server. When a keyer enters data, data files are duplicated on the local machine and on a shared folder on the server. Before creating tables (one of the menu option) all files are automatically concatenated using logic code so that any time it is possible to have tables with all up to date data and from any PC. We also made a fonction that can sort all cases ascendant and display them on a HTML file so that it is very easy to open a case to check data.
htuser

Post by htuser »

Dear Ils,
This is a good system that we would like to learn more about, because we're designing and implement a system to monitor census/survey data collection processing on a real-time basis. But, the problem is Csentry lock the data file who can't be copied when the application is open. We use powerful synchronization software to transfer data from multiples Tablet on the field to a server. But, often, the Csentry application crashed...because...the data file is locked by Csentry and can't be read by two software...
I'm waiting for some explanations about the codes you use for duplicate the data file.
Sincerely yours,
G.VOLNY, a CSProuser from Haiti, since 2004
Nevillefc

Post by Nevillefc »

Thanks for that prompt reply, I was thought I would have to make unique pffs for the users at runtime. I am using shared lookup files via the loadcase and selcase. I know that there shouldn't be a problem with the loadcase and will have to do some testing on the selcase.

This question should be in another post, but how to use a PFF with binary files ? Is the enc file name entered in the application path ?
kakinyim

Post by kakinyim »

I do all my data entry from server. I have implemented a very nice approach which can handle more than 100 keyers at the same time. Greg, I had posted in this forum how I do it, maybe you can let 'Nevillefc' have a look at the post (I cant see it). Alternatively, he can contact me for detailed step by step guidelines.
lls

Post by lls »

kakinyim, please share with us your approach. We are all interested to see how others proceed for developing applications.
Adnane

Post by Adnane »

working on a network by Cspro is crucial, I am in a situation where I really need this,

Please kakinyim, is your solution practical to do?
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Mutua, do you remember when you posted your code? I see only four posts from you (at least while logged in as kakinyim), and none are concerning this matter.

Nevillefc, if you're using an ENC file, you create the PFF in the same way that you do with a ENT. In fact, you don't have to change anything about the PFF. If CSEntry doesn't see the ENT file, it'll look look for a ENC file to load.
htuser

Post by htuser »

Dear Ils
"When a keyer enters data, data files are duplicated on the local machine and on a shared folder on the server."

We're also waiting for more about your method to duplicate data file from a local computer to a server.
Do you use fileexist,filedelete, filecopy functions? After closing Csentry?
Do you use a script on the server to delete and replace existing data files?
How do you manage path for distant server? Do you use TCP/IP (the IP of the server) in the path?
Thanks in advance,
G.VOLNY, a CSProuser from Haiti, since 2004