How to collect Panel data with CSPRO + Does "External file" or "look-up" file help?

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
liennhu

How to collect Panel data with CSPRO + Does "External file" or "look-up" file help?

Post by liennhu »

Hello CSPro users,

We are creating the second wave data entry application for a two wave survey. In the first round, we used CSPRO CAPI and got data for 800 households.

The questionnaires (for both rounds) are basically the agronomical information for each rice plot of the households. The second survey will ask the same questions like the first one at the same plot.

My very first question is: does CSPro allow this practice? Could anybody in our Forum have any idea about this?

Secondly, while search some available information on the Internet, my idea now is to create an application incorporating both round 1 and round 2 questions --> use the look-up file for the round 1 data and use logic to get the round data prefill --> use the prefilled information appear in CAPI questions in tablets so that the enumerators can continue to ask the follow up for this round 2. But again, I am currently have no idea to do this.

My concern is that (I havent use look-up file ever) look-up file function is only applicable when I enter a value and want to confirm whether the value is in the data file or not. I could not find any information saying that we can prefill the field with the .csdb data.

Please help me to verify and any questions or ideas are so much appreciated.

Thanks all!

Lien.
aaronw

Re: How to collect Panel data with CSPRO + Does "External file" or "look-up" file help?

Post by aaronw »

If the questions are the same for both waves I would use the application twice with different data files. You should be able to match a household's two waves on the id items. If you have collected the date of the survey you'll be able to tell which wave it is.

Based on your second question I would break this one application into two separate applications (app_1 and app_2). For the time being, the only difference being the dictionary names and each variable name will need to be prefixed so they don't clash (W1_VAR1 and W2_VAR1). You'll add app_1's dictionary to app_2 as an external application. This allows you to do a loadcase and access data from wave 1. After id items in app_2 have been collected do a loadcase passing in app_1's dictionary and the collected id items. All of wave 1's data is now loaded into memory and accessible by referring to the variables (i.e W1_VAR1).
if loadcase(app_1_dict, MY_ID_ITEMS) = 0 then
    errmsg("Could not load wave 1's data. Continue without prefills.");
endif;
To use fills in the CAPI questions take a look at these helps: http://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/cr ... tions.html
liennhu

Re: How to collect Panel data with CSPRO + Does "External file" or "look-up" file help?

Post by liennhu »

aaronw wrote:If the questions are the same for both waves I would use the application twice with different data files. You should be able to match a household's two waves on the id items. If you have collected the date of the survey you'll be able to tell which wave it is.

Based on your second question I would break this one application into two separate applications (app_1 and app_2). For the time being, the only difference being the dictionary names and each variable name will need to be prefixed so they don't clash (W1_VAR1 and W2_VAR1). You'll add app_1's dictionary to app_2 as an external application. This allows you to do a loadcase and access data from wave 1. After id items in app_2 have been collected do a loadcase passing in app_1's dictionary and the collected id items. All of wave 1's data is now loaded into memory and accessible by referring to the variables (i.e W1_VAR1).
if loadcase(app_1_dict, MY_ID_ITEMS) = 0 then
    errmsg("Could not load wave 1's data. Continue without prefills.");
endif;
To use fills in the CAPI questions take a look at these helps: http://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/cr ... tions.html
Thanks veru much for your reply! I will try to do this and keep you updated with the results!!!

Best,
Lien