Communication using FTP/FTPS

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Mariovaisman

Communication using FTP/FTPS

Post by Mariovaisman »

Hi Gregory & Josh,
I have applications that we needed to use FTPS by client requirement, from the field we didn't have any problem, I used the hash to verify if the files were sent before and avoid to transmit the files again. Now the situation is in the other side that I call Central Office. The FTP server has all the files, some of those were downloaded before in the Central Office, now new files are coming from the field, the problem is which files I need to download, bacause every day I will have more files. My solution was to have an external developed program in Java that created the file list with date and time and reading that file, I could recognize wich files I had to download.
I think we need an ftp function to have the list of files in the ftp server, so it is not necessary to call external non cspro programs to have it.

It there other way to manage this situation easier than I have implemented.
I was thinking to use csweb, however, the data has to be downloaded in different sites, means in each site have to download the field data.

Thanks

Mario
josh

Re: Communication using FTP/FTPS

Post by josh »

With Dropbox and CSWeb, we automatically use the file hash to avoid downloading a file that was already downloaded since that function already exists in the http protocol (etag). Unfortunately the FTP protocol, being super old, doesn't have that so it is quite a bit of work to add it in and besides you, I don't think many CSPro users are using FTP. I'm not clear on why you can't use CSWeb.