Multiple choice valuesets

Discussions about CSEntry
mussabahire

Multiple choice valuesets

Post by mussabahire »

Hi all.
I have designed a questionnaire with multiple choices but when I export, the one with more than 1 choice does not show its value set(ex: Math=1, English=2, Art=3, If I choose Math only(1), in SPSS, I will get it, but when I chose 23(English and Art), it will come as simply 23 and does not show the valueset).
Kindly help me!
Regards,
Mustafa.
Saint

Re: Multiple choice valuesets

Post by Saint »

Hi,
I am guessing you have defined your value set with the options Math=1, English=2, Art=3 as you describe it, and then using checkbox to select them as multiple response. So in the dictionary value set on that variable, the option English and Arts = 23 does not exist.

Not sure how many options you have, but what you can do is to define a second value set list with the single options, all paired options, all three way options, etc. Then during export, you delete the current value set you have and use the more elaborate value set. This can get complex quite quickly so may not be efficient. There are ways of doing multiple options analysis in SPSS so look into that option as well.
Gregory Martin

Re: Multiple choice valuesets

Post by Gregory Martin »

The other choice is to add a subitem for your checkbox item. For example, if you checkbox item was:

SUBJECTS, alpha, length 5

You could add a subitem:

SUBJECT_SELECTIONS, numeric, length 1, occurs 5 times

Then when you export that variable you would get:

SUBJECT_SELECTIONS_1 = English (2)
SUBJECT_SELECTIONS_2 = Arts (3)